Windows Mixed Reality (mixing it up).

I have been in and out of virtual worlds now for more years than I care to mention, text, 2D, 3D with ever increasing levels of immersion and complexity and depth.
So it comes to pass that me and the other half have started falling down the rabbit hole of VR.
Now she has gone for a Rift and I have plumbed for the cheaper option...
Behold Steam VR using the windows mixed reality drivers (Beta).

I have to say things have been enjoyable so far various fun demo's and betas or early access apps. 
To be honest it feels like the digital frontier again, with small communities of like-minded individuals pushing into unknown territory. But this may sound odd nothing quite prepares your brain for the sensation of possessing a different body, I shit you not its true! The minute your controllers fizzle away and you find your neurons fooled its profound.
 Don't let graphical quality fool you ,when arms,feet and thumbs move when you move .....brain fooled :D
Its me but not me..avatars move in response to my movements its spooky.
Ready Player One? Not Quite ..but sooner than we think perhaps.

Consciousness is unquantifiable, a ghost in the machine, barely considered real at all, though in a sense this flickering mosaic of awareness is the only true reality that we can ever know.
ALAN MOORE, What Is Reality?

Anyway deep meaningful stuff aside are the windows MR headsets any good yes! Should you get into VR? Its still in its infancy but if you love exploration and new tech and don't mind hitting the occasional REAL wall when you lose sense of space in a virtual environment then sure. Go for it :)

Much Love,
K

Comments

Popular Posts